Every child needs to learn how to make soup from scratch. Here is one that is customizable and has tasks for everyone.
Recipe and photo by Edie Shaw-Ewald, RD
• 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 8 garlic cloves, minced
• 4 large carrots, diced
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 3 cups boiling water
• 1 can canellini beans, rinsed (or another bean)
• 1 cup Moroccan couscous (or another pasta such as macaroni)
• 1 cup frozen peas
• 1 cup chopped kale or spinach
• If you have some turnip or potato on hand, throw them in the pot!
1. Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add the diced onion and garlic. Saute until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the diced carrots. Sauté for a few minutes.
4. Add the broth and boiling water.
5. Add the rinsed beans and the couscous. Let the soup simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the peas and chopped kale just a few minutes before serving.
7. Season with ground pepper and salt.